Tuesday, May 29, 2012

May 19th, 2012 - May 28th, 2012

This is a long post, so buckle your seat belts and grab a bowl of potato chips (kind of like the two bowls of chips I just ate).

Alright, on the 19th I went to the airport to pick up my friends. But, I suffered some unexpected criticism over my apparel.






































I was waiting at Baggage Claim when a woman looked at me, looked at my shirt and sneered and walked away. Now, my first guess is that she is jealous that she does not have a xylophonosaurus shirt. My other guess is that she thought, look at that ridiculous American with her dinosaur shirt.

Look all you want, lady. Don't be jealous.

On the 20th, Daniel and I took our friends around our town, Ansbach, wherein we visited the palace gardens - which I did not know about until recently.






































It was very pretty, I'm glad we went to see it for the first time in late spring, when everything is in bloom. It was also fun to imagine ourselves as lords and ladies taking a turn about the garden and speaking in English accents. Ok, so I was the only one speaking in an English accent.

On the 21st I confronted a very deep fear and instantly regretted it.



























My friend, Nick, was hell bent on climbing to the top of a tower while we were in Rothenburg. You had to pay two euro for this, I do not know why you would have to pay two euro for climbing until you want to die and then looking out a tower. Obviously, I did not want to go, as I am deathly afraid of heights and narrow staircases. However, everyone agreed to go, and I didn't want to be the lame parent that sits out of the rollercoaster line, so I went.

The stairs became increasingly more steep, narrow, and dangerous the higher we got. By the end it was like climbing a ladder, and I got more anxious with every step. When we reached the final ladder/flight of stairs we had to pay the 2 euro. Nick graciously bought my ticket because he was the instigator of the terror. Then, we all climbed up and I immediately and deeply regretted my decision to hoist myself out of the safety of the tower room.

We were standing on a (very) narrow walkway, which basically meant you were right up against the fence - pictured above - overlooking the whole town. I can see now that it was a pretty sight, but I was hyperventilating too much to appreciate it. I kept repeating, "I don't like this, I don't like this."

Eventually, I started imagine all the ways I could fall off the tower to my death, over the fence was the most likely since it only came to my waist, and I had to get off - this time I could feel the panic attack rising in my throat, and hysteria bubbling out.

I slowly lowered myself down the ladder, shaking, and kept going till I was outside. I don't think I've ever been that terrified.

What's strange is that about a week prior I had a dream that Liz, Nick, Daniel, and I (or all the people who went up the tower) were having lunch on top of a skyscraper that had no guardrail and it suddenly tipped and we all started sliding off. I now feel that was a slightly prophetic dream.

Anyway, on the 22nd we went to Prague.






































Here we are, having finally found the castle (we think). Honestly, it could've just been a cathedral, but it was pretty and we were exhausted and weren't going to keep looking, this was on hour 6 of walking I believe. Walking for hours on end is tiring, by the way.

That being said, Prague is beautiful, albeit tourist filled. I'm very glad we went.

On the 23rd we headed to Garmisch, and the first day was spent relaxing/bar hopping.




























Here is Daniel and I before we got too crazy, you know casually drinking beer (him) and wine (me). 

It was a fun night, I think I enjoyed it most because it was leisurely and not filled with an immense amount of walking - which as we know is for the birds. Or is that flying?

On the 24th we visited the Disney Castle - or rather the castle that the Disney castle is modeled after. Unfortunately, the cool looking side was covered in scaffolding, so here is Daniel and I and the Alps.




























Pretty, no?

Oh, the mountains, too. Wink.

On the 25th! We spent our last day in Dachau.



























The concentration camp. It was incredibly overwhelming and sad, and I actually forced a quick exit after seeing the memorial museum. I'm glad we went, but I have no interest in ever seeing another concentration camp for the rest of my life. I'm surprised I was able to leave not in tears.

On a lighter note, on the 26th we picked Barnacle up from the kennel.






































And he was PSYCHED. He was so excited to see us when we picked him up, it almost makes me forget that sometimes he's an annoying a-hole. I love him anyway, though. Dopey dog.

On the 27th, I caught Daniel and Bootstrap making up for lost time.






































I did not stage this, I literally saw Daniel reach over and scoop Bootstrap into this embrace. They love to snuggle.

They also snuggled on the 28th, in a weird way.






































It looks like Bootstrap is saying "spoon me" and Daniel is saying "no, she's taking a picture."

Daniel does this sometimes, it was actually a sweet snuggle session until I pulled out my iPhone, then Daniel crossed his arms like a 5 year old and pouted.

No comments:

Post a Comment