Sunday, January 15, 2012

January 14th, 2012

Today's post brought to you by bibliophiles anonymous.




























After years of being a faithful Stephanie Plum reader, I have recently decided to completely re-read the series. With eighteen books this would appear to be quite an undertaking, but I tend to devour books whole.

The problem with this plan of mine is that now I need to buy almost all of the books in the series, because in the past I have read them all via library cards and theft from my grandmother's personal collection. Seeing as I now live in Germany and my grandma is an ocean away (and that libraries suck at life) I can't really get away with pilfering the Plum collection anymore. So, I'm buying them little by little, in order to fool myself into thinking that it didn't cost that much to get the entire series since I bought them in $30 increments.

Being an English major, a part of me thinks I should be reading something of substance like Macbeth or To Kill a Mockingbird. But, I spent four... okay five years earning an English degree by reading the classics, and while I found many books I loved, I now no longer feel the need to hurt my brain by deciphering subtext, looking up symbols, or analyzing the historical ramifications of literature. Plus, reading Shakespeare - to me - is the equivalent of ramming a spike through my brain.

Right now, I just want to read a book that takes me out of my life and makes me laugh in the process, not one that requires a lot of difficult thinking.

Perhaps someday I will find my way back to literature, but now I really just want to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment